Wicked Witch Studios

Wicked Witch Studios
When You Need Something Utterly Wicked

Sunday, February 28, 2016

5 Reasons Not To Believe The Witch Is A Good Movie; Danette Wilson


It's not scary. I was only scared at the amount of good reviews I read heralding the film, like some kind of wonderful, when it wasn’t. The film is endorsed by the Satanic Temple, after all. So what. “What we are trying to do is to prevent the term from being a pejorative.”  Let's see, you don't want contempt or disapproval, or a low opinion, but then why uphold a film that makes witches baby killers, blood bathers, and with a severed goat head while writhing in delight under Satan's spell, confirming every horrid stereotype the word has ever conjured?

This movie makes the Satanic Panic and every Halloween horror razor blade in the apple scare news story come to life as stupidity weaves it's way into what critics are saying is “brilliant, creepy, ambitious, remarkable, artistic.”. I am calling bullshit.
Not one of these critics is an occultist, or even cares about occult philosophy. If they did, they would be on a different level and not entertained in the least by a bad stereotype or mockery of the very knowledgeable individual today's real witch is!

To be honest, the real horror is reading the news these days or watching politics unfold before us at every turn, and, here's a thought….some of the most awesome movies I have seen never got a good review, or an Oscar or any mention of note. Why? I like characters I can join for the ride. Not one character in this movie had me at hello. Great writing makes you want to turn the page, or when you watch a movie, feel like time just vanished while the film ran. In this case, it was more like I wanted to vanish and run, instead of enduring the next scene.Newsflash….The Salem Witch Trials held no witches. The Witch is pre Salem, but that really does not matter, because I love the Salem series on TV and they tore up all the accuracy in the books, and have me believing in every new turn they want to take me. That, is good writing.

I guess the moral of the story is, just because a book has all the endorsements in the world, on the back cover, the book ends, five front pages full, by all the top authors, it can still read like crap to me and not worth the paper it was printed on. That, my friends, is my opinion.

"When people ask me if I went to film school I tell them, 'no, I went to films.'"
Quentin Tarantino

Magic is like an unbelievably delicious potpourri, or alluring perfume. It begins with ingredients that are all distinctly separate from one another. Through the combining, these individual elements come together and as a blend become far more than the sum of the parts. Alas, there is no magic to be found in The Witch. Her mojo ran amok and no one was empowered to question anything. Witchcraft means different things to different people. At the heart of real magic is acknowledging something ancient, powerful, and mostly forgotten. The history books are written by the victors. The real truth lies hidden, or was destroyed or burned long ago, along with the many souls in the oncoming path of those that conquered. They say The Witch used real trial transcripts. Well they lied. Every person on trial lied. They would say anything to save their life. And the questions raised by any accuser can hardly be any source of fact. So the transcripts are all full of lies. A lot of history books have gotten good reviews. But there are many bad history books. The people who could tell us everything, from start to finish, in brave detail are no longer living.

"As a viewer, the minute I start getting confused, I check out of the movie. Emotionally, I'm severed."
Quentin Tarantino