Wicked Witch Studios

Wicked Witch Studios
When You Need Something Utterly Wicked

Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Storms of Beltane (Dorian Wallace)


Almost every Beltane, even before I was aware of what Beltane was, it has stormed. As I sit here typing this, it is currently raining with thunder and lightning and has been since last night. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least because I love storms. I love watching the dark clouds roll in and then light up with natures fireworks. I know a lot of us Druids, Pagan's and Witches enjoy dark days, cool breezes and the waters that clean the Earth, but why does this seem to happen frequently on the week of Beltane?

I currently live in Charlotte North Carolina, but this phenomena started for me in Southern California with something called The Orange Show in San Bernardino. This fair has been going on every year for over 100 years, but originally it was built over ancient Native American burial grounds and was cursed by the unnamed tribe and has rained opening day from day one....which usually takes place around Beltane. I loved going there as a kid, the food, the music, the rides and the Citrus Pavillion were fantastic. The smell of the latter was always my favorite, millions of oranges and other citrus in art installments gave off a smell better than a grove. Don't get me wrong, back in the 80's, it wasn't the fanciest thing around, but I was a kid and didn't care.

So, I'm not sure if the remnants have followed me back to the other side of the Country, or it is just something that happens. I don't view rain as a curse....but it definitely puts a damper on the local celebrations. Last year when my husband, youngest son and I went to the Beltane Brouhaha, there was not a cloud in site. This weekend is a different story. I wasn't able to go because the aforementioned husband fell ill and I didn't feel comfortable leaving him home on his own. Perhaps next year will be a different story, perhaps I'll bring a rain coat. Either way, enjoy your Beltane if you celebrate....remember, the veil is thin again, so talk to your ancestors.