Wicked Witch Studios

Wicked Witch Studios
When You Need Something Utterly Wicked

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Finding Magic Amidst the Crazy (Danette Wilson)


~TO KNOW~

I was jarred from sleep at 1am by an earthquake, magnitude of 5.2 shaking Southern California. Within an hour, there were six aftershocks in the same general area.

After consulting social media and the internet for confirmation of anyone else feeling the same, it dawned on me ...there with all the political posts, and the raper curse group and the "your trans you're not a woman shamers", the finger pointers to her, and him and them not being real enough as practicing whatever it is they practice, voodoo, or hoodoo or Wicca, and relevance of what group you're with, who you studied under, where were you initiated........ 

when your walls are shaking around you........

NONE of that stuff matters!

 ~TO DARE ~

I could have been a few more shakes to homeless, losing all and what would I be taking away? Without anything does it really matter? When we're stripped of everything but what's on our back, does it matter if I'm gay and you're trans, does it matter if the person running the homeless shelter I stay in for some comfort, is a Republican or Democrat? Do you think I give a damn what religion you are or whether you were born in the U.S. or what color you are, or what damn bathroom you use when I'm your patient in the hospital doing emergency surgery on me, or a family member?

My mind flashed back to a cosmetic counter at a lovely upscale store in Chicago. A person came to my counter, not unlike any other customer I took care of, but she was trans and wanted help with makeup to feel uplifted, "I've been to 3 places already who have turned me away". I turned her into a Goddess, it's what I did, it's what I was paid to do, utilize my skill, I was an artist, I loved my job. Yes, she purchased as well. When she left, feeling like a million dollars, I got a ton of shit from the Cosmetics Mgr. at the time, "that shouldn't go on here", "please refrain from courting this kind of element in the future", " we don't want that in this store". This was 30 years ago, and even then I was like WTF?

 ~TO WILL~

 Honey, inside, we are all misfits just trying to find a clan, be brave, stay together and take care of our family or ourselves, remain dignified and graceful in times of terror, unexpected change and bad luck.

You all puff out your chests on social media , getting all hot and bothered about one thing or another. It's good to be passionate, but put your money where your mouth is, cause action speaks louder than words, or shares, or likes or hashtags. #givemeabreak

 Politics, sex, money, religion. Yup mamma was right, these are some heated discussions that become nasty, break us apart and create walls around us.

 I am tired of all the social media shaming, bullying, and witch wars!

Remember Julia Sugarbaker from Designing Women? A quote from her, "All liberals are not kooks, anymore than all conservatives are fascists! And the last time I checked, God was neither a Democratic nor a Republican! And just for your information, yes I am a liberal, but I am also a Christian. And I get down on my knees and pray everyday - on my own turf - on my own time. One of the things that I pray for, is that people with power will get good sense, and that people with good sense will get power... and that the rest of us will be blessed with the patience and the strength to survive the people like you in the meantime!"

I work for a pediatric hospital and am overwhelmed at the youth's condition today, truly. I've cried for lunch or break countless times. I communicate with the CDC and World Health Organization daily. Want a staggering statistic for 2016? Every 2 hours and 11 minutes a person under the age of 25 dies by suicide! That's 10 people every day. One in seven high school students have considered suicide within the past school year! More kids die of suicide than cancer, HIV/AIDS, birth defects, stroke, and chronic lung disease combined.

 ~TO KEEP SILENT ~

BE the magic instead of complaining about a thousand things, and ripping apart the other guy to make yourself feel big. Empowering the next person might be the difference in their day and outlook, that will effect you too.

Shut up about curses on rapists and public rituals for presidents, real magic is never broadcasted about!

Be someone they smile at when hear you're name, instead of one of the many who make us pitty and disdain the mountain of hateful and stupid on social media.

Be thankful and be kind, tomorrow you may be eating all your words spewed today. (She cackles knowingly.)