Wicked Witch Studios

Wicked Witch Studios
When You Need Something Utterly Wicked

Sunday, June 26, 2016

We Have Lost Our Damn Minds (Dorian Wallace)

Feels that way doesn't it? People constantly fighting each other from the safety of their computer screen because they both believe they are right, entire Countries leaving safety with racism as it's motivation and not actual facts, people killing others because they cannot accept themselves.....and then the same fucking circle jerk of a conversation happens and not one thing changes.

Are we so plugged in that we've tuned out? We're so saturated with "news" that we don't know what is real and what is an opinion piece aimed to advertise at you or anger you toward ,"them." The version of ,"them" depends on who's article you're reading.

We know so much about people we've never met in real life, but we consider them friends. Don't get me wrong, I have met some amazing people through social media...it's like having a global village at my finger tips. But seriously, I don't need to know intimate details about your bladder infection "Betsey", none of us do. Yes, absolutely, your page, your rules....but don't be surprised when you get unfriended.

We are pretty much several places at once at any given moment. We may be out to dinner with our loved one, but we bring along the entirety of Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Google Plus and a plethora of other social media outlets that Gen Xers like me have no clue even exist. We post pictures of our food, tag the people we are with, announce our next destination in hopes of getting actual face time with some of the local natives. I am guilty of this myself and I'm not saying it's always a bad thing. I can keep up with my family across the globe and I have met so many wonderful people that I can't imagine not having in my life. I have watched some of those people pass away as well...some that I had known for years and some that I probably never would have crossed paths with. I am grateful for the time I had with them.

Being so plugged in has also made us ugly toward each other. We feel safe saying the most vile things to strangers that would get our teeth knocked down our throats in public. We see something we disagree with, so we track down the offenders home address, threaten their family, get them fired and try to destroy their lives because they said or did something stupid. If they are in a spot of speaking for a community and they are spreading hate, absolutely they need to be held accountable, but if they are not voting for your candidate...let it go. You don't have to show up to every fight you are invited to. Instead of having a knee jerk reaction, take a breath and keep scrolling.

I think we could all benefit from turning off our devices and getting out in nature and powering up our magick cells. Let the angry people scream into the void....do not give them an audience. Go stick your feet in water, walk in the grass or go sleep under the stars. Recharge!

Bright Blessings.